The Scribe, by Matthew Guinn

I was about ten pages into this book when my father, looking at the cover, said, "That looks like something I'd like to read." About twenty pages after that, I realized that I had indeed gotten the book for my father and then forgotten to give it to him... But it's an intriguing concept and time period, so while it wasn't my cup of tea, I kept on with the book.

Shortly after the Civil War, Atlanta, Georgia, undertook to rebuild and redeem itself with the technological wonders of the International Cotton Exposition. Designed to uplift the citizenry and show the world that Atlanta, though beaten, was not broken, the festivities are now in danger of being marred by a series of horribly gruesome murders. The only man capable of solving this grisly case is former Atlanta policeman Thomas Canby, who's been spending the time since the Civil War, during which he served in the Union Army, policing a small rural town. He's not exactly popular in Atlanta, and with the first black policeman in the city as his partner, Canby has a difficult road ahead of him.

I usually avoid mysteries; reading about murder doesn't give me the thrill it seems to give others, but the historical aspect was interesting. Guinn paints a vivid picture of Reconstruction Atlanta and its proud citizens, and doesn't shy away exposing the despicable racial views of the time. I found the murder plot a bit derivative, though, as it reminded me several times of the 2009 Sherlock Holmes movie. I'd have liked the book better with a plot that didn't revolve around murder, but think my dad will enjoy it, as mysteries are more his speed.

Shop indie!

Comments

Popular Posts