Infinite Home, by Kathleen Alcott

In this touching pastiche of a novel, we are privy to the innermost thoughts of some wonderful characters. Thomas, Edward, Paulie, Claudia, Adeleine, Edith - all hurting in the way that we are all hurting, all the time, from childhood and life's wounds, some small, some big. Everyone is relatable, which is perhaps what I like most about this book. I don't have to love every character I read, nor do I need relatability to make a book enjoyable, but it's refreshing to read a literary novel populated by generally decent human beings.

Edith, their landlady and neighbor, is sinking quickly into dementia. Thomas was an artist but had a stroke and no longer paints. Paulie has Williams Syndrome, a condition marked by excessive, unending happiness, and his sister, Claudia, takes care of him. Edward is a washed up comic, while Adeleine hasn't left the house in 6 months, hiding in her apartment filled with antique ephemera. As Edith disintegrates, the tenants all grow closer to each other and try to claw their way through their own damage. I did have trouble in the beginning differentiating between some of the characters (Thomas and Edward especially), and the short chapter lengths didn't help. But once I got my sea legs, spending a year with this eclectic bunch was a delight, and I unabashedly cried at the end. I wish there were more novels like this, literary and full of depth but also full of good people, doing the best they can for themselves and each other.

Shop indie!

Comments

Popular Posts