Tempests and Slaughter, by Tamora Pierce

The mere mention of Tamora Pierce can make my heart beat a little bit faster; her books are the reason I became a reader, and I never tire of her work. Her first heroine, Alanna, was so like me: her name, her reddish hair, the fact she is a tomboy. Pierce's girls, who we follow as they become women, are thoughtful, impetuous, smart, brave, feisty, loyal - they're role models. And Pierce has long been a legend and hero herself to girls who identify with her characters. I'm not the only one. I had the immense pleasure of meeting her once, a meeting whereat I turned bright red, stammered, and definitely started sweating; I then went to a public reading and the room was filled with other girls and young women just as excited as I was. Pierce's world of Tortall has been a refuge for many an awkward kid.

With Tempests and Slaughter, Pierce returns once more to this world and, in the same vein as her previous Tortall novels, backwards, to the childhood and adolescence of a fan favorite: Numair. Born Arram Draper, those of us familiar with Pierce's work know him as an immensely powerful mage who helps a young wild mage, Daine, grow into her power. He's kind, intelligent, and oh so dreamy. Arram as a child is two of those things, not yet having grown into his dreaminess and given to incessant questioning. A student at the great University in Carthak, Arram's raw talent quickly raises him above other students his own age. Though friendly to all, his only real friends are Varice, a beautiful, ebullient kitchen witch, and Ozorne, Prince of Carthak. We follow these three through the first few years of their schooling, learning along with Arram the many aspects of magecraft.

It's hardly surprising that there's a quiet political undertone to Pierce's latest. Slavery is the law of the land in Carthak, and Arram struggles with it though Varice and Ozorne don't. And powerful magic that seems obvious to him is dismissed by some of his professors as "tribal superstition," Pierce's clear nod to the arrogance of colonialism. And like Alanna, Arram is close at hand to the reins that hold power in Carthak, as the untimely death of various cousins slowly advance Ozorne closer and closer to the throne. We see hints, as well, of the monster we know Ozorne will later become.

My only complaints can probably be laid at the feet of the publisher rather than the author. The title is ridiculous; it's bombastic and belligerent, clearly meant to stay on trend with current young adult fantasy, whose book titles tend to the dramatic. And this book is far longer than most of her others. While I'm certainly not complaining about a thick Tortall novel, I do think that slowing down the pace and breaking the book up would have allowed for more spectacular moments to be drawn out longer. Most of the other books cover one year each, while this encompasses several. It's a little too fast for me, I want to savor it more. Even so, Tamora Pierce still delivers, and reading this was like dunking myself back into the best parts of my childhood.


Support indies!


Comments

Popular Posts