How to Change the World, by John-Paul Flintoff

I figured I would round out my Resist List, as I like to call it, with some optimism and motivation. Flintoff is a British journalist and author who has spent years raising money for good causes and working towards real policy change at the governmental level. His argument is fairly simple: do what you can, when you can; make sure it's something you really care about and have fun doing; don't feel badly if it's something small - painting a beautiful picture that brings people happiness can be just as important as purifying drinking water or teaching a child to read.

I'm glad I read this after the relative doom and gloom of The Nordic Theory of Everything and Why I am Not a Feminist. There are a few journaling prompts to help hone in on what you really care about and what method might be most comfortable and effective for you, always keeping in mind that no effort or change for the positive is too small. For instance, I found that I care most about education because I think it's at the root of a lot of American society's problems, and that my best options for active resistance involve letter-writing and getting involved in local government. I'm not the most optimistic person, but I really did feel better after reading this. I have a game plan now, which should help keep me energized, and feel better about the little things I can do to make a difference. How to Change the World is a good, quick read for anyone who feels lost after the last year or so of enduring American politics...

Comments

Popular Posts