The Best American Short Stories 2011, ed. by Geraldine Brooks

So I'm a little behind the times. Luckily, short stories don't go bad, and these truly are some incredible stories. I particularly can't stop thinking about "The Sleep" by Caitlin Horrocks, where an entire town takes to hibernating during the winter months. "Escape from Spiderhead" by George Saunders was also one of my favorites, taking place in a science fiction universe where convicts can opt into serving out their sentence as guinea pigs for drug tests. I really love short stories, and don't read them as often as I should. I think a good short story can be more arresting than a good full-length novel. Such impact packed into only a few pages affects me more than an equally well-written novel. I have an immense appreciation for a good short story, and thoroughly enjoyed reading this compilation.

Comments

Popular Posts