Beat the Reaper, by Josh Bazell

This is one funky read. Half medical drama, half mob tale, Bazell's novel pulls the reader back and forth between the narrator's previous life as a hired gun for the mob (but one who only kills people who really deserve it) and his current life as a doctor while in the Federal witness protection program. It's really original, which I love, and darn good for a first novel. I can't say I have any strong feelings about it; I enjoyed reading it and would certainly recommend it to someone looking for a fun, smart, quick read, or for something pretty different from what's out there. Since Bazell managed to find time to write this book while interning at a hospital, I hope he can find the same balance in his life as a practicing doctor and novelist. He's good, and interesting, and we need more books like "Beat the Reaper."

Comments

Popular Posts