A Feast for Crows, by George R. R. Martin

And so I read the fourth book in the Song of Fire and Ice series. As I'd been told by others, this is the weakest of the series so far. This isn't because of the writing, but because we're only getting half of the story. Martin's fifth book is a companion to the fourth, rather than a sequel, and tells the tales of the main characters we are missing. It appears that Martin's world outgrew him, and such is the problem with an undertaking as massive as this. Like the Wheel of Time series, the world has exceeded the author's grasp, and become a bit unwieldy. However, I think Martin is a better writer than Jordan (and Jordan's successor), so even though the fourth was a little weaker than the others, I haven't grown bored like I did with Jordan's series. I look forward to continuing the journey.

Comments

Popular Posts