A Dirty Job, by Christopher Moore

Christopher Moore is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. If you are looking for serious, morose fiction, this is definitely not it. Moore's writing is lighthearted but seriously dark at the same time, hilarious and, at times, vulgar. He's like Chuck Palahniuk with a sense of humor and a lot less gore. His writing never ceases to make me laugh out loud, and that is a rare thing in fiction.

This particular novel is about a Beta Male who becomes a Death Merchant, helping to pass the souls of the dead onto their next possessor, the person who will bring that soul to the next level. He becomes death on the day his beloved wife days, the day of his daughter's birth. The book takes about a hundred pages to really get going, but once he starts, the roll doesn't stop. Christopher Moore is an author that I intend to collect and keep.

Comments

  1. Ever read "On A Pale Horse" by Piers Anthony? I read it an exceptionally long time ago, so I don't remember it all that clearly, just that I enjoyed it. Similar story with a regular Joe taking over Death's duties. It's the first in an eight part series "Incarnations of Immortality". I think I fell off somewhere around book three or four. They were all very good, so just blame me and my commitment issues... ;-) Keep up the good blog work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts