Rumo and His Miraculous Adventures, by Walter Moers

This is the second book of Moers' that I've read, and it did not disappoint. In this journey we follow Rumo, a young Wolperting (dog-like creatures with horns, the ability to speak and walk on two legs, and renowned for their fighting prowess) who goes on a search for his Silver Thread - the colored scent that denotes love. This book is a good deal darker than "The Alchemaster's Apprentice," and much more violent. The themes are similarly simplistic, and the writing is absolutely fantastic, but the narrative tends towards the gruesome. Where "The Alchemaster's Apprentice" could be classified as Young Adult literature, I would not do the same with this book. Again, Moers displays the incredible originality that hooked me in the first book of his that I read, and I absolutely look forward to reading more of his books set in the fantastic land of Zamonia.

Comments

Popular Posts