Short Fiction, by W.B. Yeats

I'd never read anything by William Butler Yeats before (I'm not much for poetry), but I enjoyed these stories by Yeats. Most of them follow a pretty standard theme: the characters and locations are straight out of Irish folklore, and the Shee - the fairy folk - play a very prominent role. Often, there is palpable tension between the material world and the magical/spiritual world. Entities in one world fall in love with someone from the other, or have it out for someone from the other, or simply make appearances into their lives.

Yeats' writing is quite good, but easily placed within his time period (late 19th century). I actually more enjoyed the pieces that were least magic-filled, which is different for me. I would be interested to read any more of his work that involved, as his father called it, "real people."

Comments

Popular Posts